Coffee Date Friday {#1}

Some of you may follow Alissa’s Coffee Date Friday series over on Rags to Stitches.  I think this is such a great idea to get a glimpse of the person behind the blog.  Particularly on sewing and crafting blogs, it’s easy to create an image of a perfect person with perfect children leading a perfect life in a perfect house.  After all, we only show you pretty pictures with great creations and cooperative kids.  But of course that’s not always the case.  (If anyone is interested in more on our family and parenting successes and challenges, I blog about those over here).  I plan to participate in Coffee Date Friday this year and give you all a glimpse of me — what motivates, inspires, worries, and annoys me.  If you’re not interested, of course just feel free to skip these posts 🙂

So here goes:

coffee

If we were having coffee today, I would tell how very, VERY happy I am that Baby J started sleeping well at night!  He had been waking up multiple times and keeping me up for hours at a time at night.  I was a zombie during the day.  But once I decided to start “sleep training” him and left him alone to put himself to sleep, he breathed a big sigh of relief and started sleeping great.  We’re both much happier now.

If we were having coffee today, I’d tell you about how I started a new workout group this week.  Now Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I’ll be starting off my day with an hour-long workout in a concerted effort to get my pre-baby body back.  If we were having coffee, I’d tell you that I don’t feel good about my body right now.  I feel out of shape.  I feel soft and flabby and fat.  My abs are buried under mounds of belly fat and stretched out, flabby skin, and four months later I still look pregnant.  It’s hard to talk about that because so many people have real problems and my body image issues pale in comparison.  And people get tired of hearing a mother of three whine about her postpartum body, but it’s how I feel.  I know my body will never look like it did before I ever had kids, and I wear my battle scars with pride, but I would like to feel good about my body again.  And I just don’t.

If we were having coffee today, I’d tell you about how I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed by what will be required of me this year.  I had a really terrible 2013 from an hours-at-work standpoint.  I had surgery back in March, which required me to be off for about 6 weeks, and then a baby in September, and I spent 12 weeks on maternity leave.  My billable hours for 2013 were by far the worst of my career.  I have to seriously kick it up in 2014, and it’s going to be challenging for me do everything I need to do.

If we were having coffee, I’d tell you that I’m really looking forward to J and N going back to school on Monday, and I think they are too.  When kids are 2 and 4, breaks are hard.  They love the routine of school and they have fun when they go.  Being at home for two weeks gets boring for them and challenging for us.  I’m very happy that their school decided to extend the school year next year and will now be starting 3 weeks earlier than they used to.  Our August will be so much more pleasant now!

If we were having coffee, what would you tell me?

Linking up with Rags to Stitches for Coffee Date Friday.

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “Coffee Date Friday {#1}

1. Julie

I’d tell you that I wept in my coffee because I was planning to take part of today off so that I could fiddle and sew but instead, now that daycare is closed, I’m working all day because I’m sick and tired of taking days off for watching my kids. This is the second day I had planned like this that has been thwarted by snow closings. *sigh*

1. Katie Post author

That’s so frustrating! These last storms have hit when our preschool was closed for Christmas break but I also just hate it when they close for a snow day. A day to fiddle and sew sounds like heaven — I’m hoping to do that once or twice in the fall when I have all 3 kids in school/PDO 🙂

2. lisa g

oooh good idea… i basically never share personal info, even though i’m always curious about the writers behind the pretty blogs! my kids’ christmas break was also extended by two days, and it’s so cold they can’t even go outside and play! that and i’ve been sick for the past two weeks… feels like a whole lot of getting nothing done! everyone is ready for the regular routine again, that’s for sure 🙂

1. Katie Post author

We are itching to get back to our routine too. Lots of illness here over the holidays as well — spring will be very welcome!

3. Kelly

I totally wish we could meet up for coffee in real life! I would tell you I can totally relate to body woes after baby…I was still wearing my maternity clothes 7 months after my second- I think it gets harder with each one! I am hoping to get back on an exercise plan, I totally let that slip in the last months of 2013.

1. Katie Post author

It definitely gets harder with each one! OMG — 7 months? I broke down after about 4 weeks and bought clothes in a bigger size just so I could get out of my maternity clothes. I just couldn’t take it anymore! Now they have all been packed up and send off to more appreciative homes 🙂

4. ragstostitches

Thanks for linking up this week. If we were having coffee I would encourage you by saying that getting your body back takes time, but I think that it’s so great that you’re making the commitment to go. Make friends with the ladies at your bootcamp so you can hold each other accountable to go! I have a group text with my girls where we encourage each other and it makes a world of difference!

1. Katie Post author

It does take time, and it seems to take longer with each child! I like this group that I’ve joined and I think the women are all very supportive. I’m really looking forward to it!

5. Angela Livingston

As a momma to 4 (plus a step-son), please know that getting your body back takes time, effort and patience. I think women forget that it took 9months to form our “ready for baby” bodies so it’ll take time to she’d the weight. You’ll get there. Not sure if you have them by you, but check out fit4mom (formerly stroller strides). It’s a great option for those of us who aren’t fans of gyms or gym day cares.

1. Katie Post author

Yes, it does take a long time, but I know it will never happen if I don’t work on it! I did fit4mom classes after my second was born. The times never work out now that I’m back at work. Too bad because there were some cool mommies in the group. Thanks for reading and commenting!

6. Melizza

I love this. If I was sitting having coffee with you right now, I would say…How much I wish I had read up on how babies sleep. We were under the illusion that they just slept. And they mostly do. Until some change comes about and you’ve lost your wonderful little sleeper. Ughhh…And no matter how much I want to help the little guy sleep better nothing works. He’s just so wired.

Off to have another coffee 🙂

1. Katie Post author

Oh I’m so sorry to hear that your little guy still isn’t sleeping well. You know, even if you don’t want to follow his sleep training method, Dr. Ferber’s book (Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problems) really is a good reference on how kids sleep. It’s the one I use as my reference when I want more in-depth information. It’s not too late to help Ollie learn to sleep better! Though since he’s older it’s likely to be more stressful — mostly for you :/

1. Melizza

We tried Ferber in November and failed. We may try it later but we are still kind of wounded from the experience. Our little guy is very very spirited. But I have hope he will learn one way or another.

1. Katie Post author

I bet. I always did Ferber when my kids were about 4.5 months old and it’s easy peasy at that age. One of my good friends didn’t do any sleep training with her second until he was over 8 months old, and she said he screamed bloody murder for 2 hours before falling asleep. That was enough to convince me forever to do it early!

Hope you find something that works. And soon!