I must admit that I squealed a little bit in my head when Heather released the Sallie Jumpsuit a couple of weeks ago. And then I promptly went out and bought the pattern.
I’ve been admiring jumpsuits and rompers from afar for ages, and I even purchased the BHL Holly jumpsuit way back when, even though I’ve never sewn it up. But I’ve always hesitated to actually make one because of the age-old question: “How the heck do you take a leak in one of those things?!?”
So when Heather mentioned in her pattern announcement post that one of her goals in drafting the pattern was to make it easy to get on and off for bathroom purposes, that was music to my ears! I was almost guaranteed to get the pattern anyway (since I’m a huge CCF fan girl and own all of her patterns) but that one statement completely sealed the deal.
Well, I haven’t made a jumpsuit yet, but as you can see, I did hack it into a romper. That may be one of the best decisions I’ve ever made — this thing is so incredibly comfy that I find myself reaching for it at least once every weekend.
Heather was true to her word — it’s a breeze to get this romper on and off and I’ve yet to have any frustration peeing. I also love the deep V in back — more patterns should accent the upper back and neck. It’s a really attractive part of the body.
I did my romper hack long before Heather posted her romper hack tutorial (bummer — that would have been nice to have), but mine worked just fine. I basically put my Prefontaine Shorts pattern over top of the romper bottoms and just retraced the crotch curve and hip lines to line up with the Prefontaines. I had to do a little rejiggering on the waist to make sure everything matched, but overall it wasn’t bad!
My fabric is a really soft and surprisingly sturdy rayon/spandex blend jersey from somewhere (I picked this up online last year and I can’t for the life of me remember where. Maybe Fabric Mart?). It was really easy to work with, didn’t roll terribly at the edges, and is incredibly comfortable to wear. I wondered whether an all-over print would be too much, but I actually think this works.
The Sallie instructions use a different method to attach the main and lining pieces than what I normally use, so I pretty much ignored them. I had my method in my head, and I always have trouble wrapping my brain around someone else’s method. I’m sure Heather’s method is equally great, but mine worked pretty well too.
The only thing I didn’t like is the method for the elastic casing at the waist. I did follow the instruction there, and as a result I have a funny seam on the inside that keeps the waist from laying exactly right. It would be so easy to encase all the seams in the casing, so next time that’s what I’ll do.
I already have a beautiful navy blue bamboo/spandex jersey all washed and ready to become a full jumpsuit for the fall. The jumpsuit version in particular just reeks of seventies chic. The seventies are undoubtedly one of my favorite eras for fashion — maybe that’s why I’m so drawn to all of Heather’s patterns.
So what do you think? Will you give Sallie a try?
Pattern: Sallie Jumpsuit and Maxi Dress by Closet Case Patterns.
Cost: $12 USD
Fabric: Rayon/spandex knit somewhere. I think it might be from Fabric Mart, but don’t hold me to that.
Difficulty: Adventurous beginner.
Techniques required: Fitting and alterations if needed, sewing with knits, inserting a lining, sewing and turning a narrow tube, sewing a casing.
Modifications: Shortened to a romper rather than a full jumpsuit. I overlaid my Prefontaine Shorts pattern to make sure I liked the shape..
Fit: Great. Heather described this pattern as “secret pajamas,” and I wholeheartedly agree.
Pattern Format: PDF. Heather tends to draft patterns with large pieces and multiple views, which can often lead to incredibly cumbersome PDF files. She tempers this by breaking the different elements of a pattern up into different PDF files. In this pattern, the skirt, pants and bodice are in three different PDF files which really cuts down on the paper.
- Straightforward construction. I’m not going to say “easy” because attaching a lining can be tricky, but this is pretty straightforward.
- Seventies-inspired silhouette. Let me tell you, 70s-era designers really knew how to accentuate a woman’s body.
- Secret pajamas. This is one of the most comfortable things I’ve ever made.
- Easy on and off for using the bathroom — this solved my main issue with jumpsuits and rompers.
- I’m not fond of the instructed method for the waist casing. I will ignore that and do it my own way next time.
- The lined bodice could get hot in summer. Luckily, Heather just did a tutorial to eliminate the lining and bind the neckline instead.
Overall Grade: A-. I adore this pattern — rivals the Ginger Jeans for my favorite CCF pattern. But I know that it is a rather specific taste that won’t appeal to everyone. I will mark it down very slightly for that. For me, this would probably be an A+.