I was recently nominated for my first ever blogging award by Nay from The Wardrobe Surgeon! Thank you so much for thinking of me!
The Liebster Award is a token of recognition that bloggers award to fellow bloggers who they think deserve more recognition. The terminology “Liebster” roughly translates to “Dearest” from German, and the guidelines of this award are as follows:
- Thank the blogger who gave you the award and link back to them in your acceptance post!
- Share 11 interesting things about yourself. Don’t be shy, and don’t worry if they aren’t relevant to the topic of your blog. They aren’t supposed to be!
- Answer the 11 questions that the blogger who awarded you asked in their post.
- Create your own set of 11 questions for the next recipients of the award.
- Pass the award to some of your own favourite bloggers! Each awardee should have less than 200 followers for their blog.
11 interesting things…
- I have double-jointed shoulders. Most people think its creepy that I can touch my elbow to my opposite shoulder behind my head. I didn’t even realize it was weird until I was 16 years old. I have double-jointed elbows too!
- I played the flute from age 10 to age 18. I don’t play very often anymore, but it’s kind of like riding a bike. I couldn’t tell you what the fingering is for any particular note, but I can still play when I pick it up!
- I had two trials during my second pregnancy, including my first time ever first-chairing a jury trial.
- During this pregnancy, I became one of the approximately 2% of women to have major surgery while pregnant.
- My favorite food in the whole wide world is black olives. I can eat a whole can by myself.
- I ran a marathon once. The Las Vegas marathon in December 2006. I have no desire to do it again. I do want to run another half marathon though. Maybe someday (probably many many years from now) I can run one approaching my half marathon PR time of 1:54.
- My all-time favorite movie is The Sting. If you haven’t seen it, you should.
- I mowed the lawn once. I did such a poor job that Albert never asked me to do it again!
- I can kill any plant that I bring in my house, but my herb garden (which lives outdoors, thank goodness) is so prolific that I will be bringing sage and basil in to my coworkers well into October and November.
- I got a royal flush in poker one time when I was playing with my guy friends in college. Totally cleaned them out. They never let me play with them after that…
- Some of who I would currently consider to be my best girlfriends are the wives of my husband’s college buddies. We all vacation together (when not pregnant or with newborns) and make a point to get together at least a couple of times a year. It’s not every group that can still “click” once partners are in the mix — we’re lucky.
11 questions asked and answered…
- What is on the top of your bucket list? I’d love to go to one of those sewing/crafting weekend retreats someday. Like the Makerie or Camp Stitchalot. Three days of uninterrupted sewing/creating time sounds like heaven!
- Who is your favourite blogger? Tough one. I admit that the blogger I never miss and who makes me laugh out loud at every post (because it’s just so TRUE) is Amy Morrison of the Pregnant Chicken. She did not enjoy pregnancy and neither do I! I read and love many sewing/crafting bloggers, but one of my absolute favorites and one of the first I followed is Dana of MADE. Her blog is beautiful and well-run and inspiring for me.
- How often do you clean your toilet? I never personally clean my toilet. I have paid someone to do that for me since 2005. Many things have been eliminated from our budget since then (kids are a huge money drain!), but I always find the funds for her. My toilets do, however, get cleaned every other week.
- What is the most exciting thing you’ve ever done? I don’t know that I’ve ever done anything that would qualify as textbook “exciting.” I spent 6 months studying in France during my sophomore year of college, and I would consider that one of the most interesting times of my life.
- What is your advice for your fellow <200 follower awards nominees? I am quite a newbie at the whole sewing/crafting blog thing, so I don’t have much int he way of “advice.” I guess the most I can offer is not to neglect the visual, particularly on a crafting/sewing blog. My posts with the most traffic by far are those with beautiful images (usually not taken by me — I’m working on that).
- What is the best meal you ever ate? Totally a matter of perspective. The best-tasting meal I have ever eaten was my first full meal (breakfast, I believe) after each of my kids were born. It was hospital food, but tasted as (or more) satisfying than a 5-star restaurant to someone who had been food-deprived for the previous 12+ hours and the expended thousands of calories birthing babies. Outside of those situations, my best meal came from a tiny, family-run creperie in Rennes, France, where I studied my sophomore year of college. I loved the ham, cheese, mushroom and tomato galette. My mouth still waters just thinking about it.
- What is your love language? [gift giving/receiving, physical touch, words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service]. Quality time and acts of service. The whole “do as I say, not as I do” thing doesn’t really fly with me.
- What you do you find meaningful in your life? I find many things meaningful in my life, but my family would probably be the most meaningful.
- What can you cook better than anyone else (feel free to share a recipe)? Chocolate chip cookies. They’re my specialty!
- What gives you the energy to get out of bed in the morning? I am usually driven out of bed in the morning by one kid or the other calling for me. J is perfectly capable of getting himself up, but he likes to lay in bed and chat in the morning. In no time, he’ll lose all interest in that kind of connection, so I indulge him now.
- Do you get emotional when famous people die? Never. Frankly, that whole phenomenon kind of baffles me.
(And I’m just guessing on the numbers of followers here, based on what I can find from blog reader counts and Bloglovin. I think I’m supposed to nominate 11 blogs, but apparently most of the blogs I follow don’t meet the <200 follower criteria!).
- Cut Cut Sew
- Tea for Two
- Nicole at Home
- Inder Loves Folk Art (a fellow lawyer mama sewist!)
- Behind the Hedgerow
- Lizzy Likes Cake
11 questions asked of my nominees…
- What was the make and model of your very first car?
- Since everyone I’m nominating has visual blogs, what kind of camera do you use, and do you take your photographs yourself?
- What is your favorite television show (if you have one)?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- What was the best vacation you ever took?
- What is your favorite flower and why?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- If you were a character in a movie, who would play you?
- What is your favorite “adult” beverage?
- As a child, did you have an imaginary friend?
- What kind of shoes do you prefer — heels or flats?
Thanks again to Nay for the nomination! I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend — mine will be filled with lots of evening/night sewing, so hopefully there will be some project posts coming up soon 🙂